Friday, August 21, 2009

Lynden



Sometimes people ask me why I opened a store in Lynden. "Why Lynden?" "Why not Bellingham?" "Do you like living in such a small town?" "Is there anything to do in Lynden?" "Isn't it hard to break in to the cliques?" Well to all of you who wonder the same thing, I come back with, "Why NOT Lynden?" Lynden, as a kid, was always this magical place. I grew up in Canada and would travel to the US with my family through Lynden. I can distinctly remember the farm house that I chose for my own on Vinup Rd. (Now occupied by my daughter's friend). I loved the perfectly manicured lawns. The trees lining Front Street and the old homes that have shared their space for centuries. The city park.
It is all so impossibly beautiful and I still love it just as much today as when I was a little girl. I told my dad once that one day I would live in Lynden. I'm sure he rolled his eyes and said "Sure honey", translation~"whatever". But here I am...living in my childhood dream. Wow!
Recently I have taken to learning more about the history of this great town. I have read some history books from the library about how Lynden began and visited the graveyard with The Judson Family (Lynden's founder) tombstones. Its great to learn about the people who formed this town and see how it has become, in part, what it is today. I hope that as a local business owner I can help to maintain the values held dear for generations. Hard work, honest business, community contributor...the list goes on. I have learned a lot over this last 10 months of business about how much work it takes to keep a town like Lynden what it is. It doesn't happen by accident. I can't wait to be a part of it for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. As a life-long Lyndenite, I love it that you love our town enough to want to uphold it's values and contribute to keeping/making the wonderful place that it is! Lynden has it's foibles, it's true -- but I'd still rather deal with them than live anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete