Thursday, May 13, 2010

Can you remember the last time you measured your feet?

Almost everyday I have customers that say they haven't had their feet measured in years.  Some even say they can't remember the last time.  As a shoe store owner I think this is so weird.  Isn't that the most basic and fundamental part of a shoe store?  To measure feet.  I think it may be slowly becoming a lost art.  Something that people are taking for granted.  But I think it is one of the first things that should happen at a shoe store.

Every day our feet carry the weight of our bodies + everything else that we lug around + endure the stress of the activities we participate in + support us as we exercise (I use the term "we" very loosely here) + age along with the rest of our body.  What all of this equals is strain, stress and CHANGE in our FOOT SHAPE and SIZE.  Wearing the wrong size of shoes can not only cause pain and problems but it can also mean that the arch is in the wrong place and therefore not accurately supporting the foot.

I often bring out shoes for customers that are confident of their shoe size.  During the shoe-trying-on process we end up measuring their feet and find out that:
a. their foot size has changed
b. their foot shape has changed (wide, narrow, etc)
c. that they have two very different feet (most people don't have two feet that measure the same)
d. that their arch length and their foot length are different

All of these points might mean that you are wearing the wrong size of shoe.  So get your foot measured the next time you are in a shoe store.  And ask the person helping you what each foot measures, what your arch length measures, and what shoes would fit your foot best.

As I always say, you only get one pair of feet so it's important to take care of them.  Go measure your feet!

2 comments:

  1. And important to note that sizes can vary depending on shoe (not just brand).

    As WE know my feet are two different sizes, so if you could start selling shoes in a mix and match of sizes that would be grand! (like the bikinis at Target - you know).
    hahahahah!

    Anyway, really...thanks for all you do for the feet of Lynden (really!) and for making sure we're all in the right shoes, right sizes and right styles...You are the best Miss Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read somewhere that women normally wear shoes 1 1/2 sizes too small. My shoe size was 9 1/2 for years until a couple years ago found out I'm really a 10 1/2. My sisters still laugh about my "not dealing with reality of my large feet". I have to say -It's been fun buying a new shoe wardrobe in a larger size at your store!! Kathi J

    ReplyDelete