Monday, January 4, 2010

A new button

I have a new button on my side bar. The 3/50 project.

I have always been a shop local kinda girl. I love visiting quaint, unique shops and helping to support those who own them. Of course, now that I am a small business owner AND I am part of a town full of small business owners, I feel even more passionate about this cause. What used to be something I enjoyed simply because has turned into something I enjoy because of it's outcome.
Of course, I always knew that I was supporting the business owner by shopping at their store. What I didn't fully grasp is the support shopping local has on the community.
You know that lovely thing we all hate called sales tax? Well, it paves our streets, improves our parks, and helps our town thrive. Not only that, shopping local provides jobs for countless local citizens who would maybe otherwise not have a job to go to. Last but not least, supporting local business keeps our town "alive" and encourages other business to set up shop here too. Its the basic cycle of life. What comes around goes around.
The 3/50 plan is simple...pick 3 businesses that you would miss if they disappeared and spend $50 each month buying something at these local businesses. Be a part of the cycle that keeps Lynden turning.

You can read tons more about this on the 3/50 project website.

I'll leave with one more stat from the website. "For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays here. Spend it online and nothing comes home.

No comments:

Post a Comment