Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day # 8

You'd think with my countdown blog each day it would give me little room to "forget" about the Christmas details that I need to be working on. But as you learned yesterday, if its not written down in 100 places, I won't remember.

So here I am today and I almost panicked when I wrote #8 in the title. Its literally like I just woke up, crawled out from under my rock, and screamed "Christmas is only 8 days away!!!!!!!".

Now, I have done some of my Christmas shopping but there's definitely more to do. What really freaked me out this morning is the Christmas breakfast menu. Nothing! Not a plan in my mind. I know this should be the fun, traditional meal and shouldn't cause me so much stress. But it does. Why? Because my family doesn't like the traditional menu that I grew up with. An amazing dish with an even more amazing name, "Wife Saver". Yes, you heard it right. There is soooo nothing PC about the name but let me tell you it is truly a wife saver. You can make it the night before. Pop it in the oven while everyone is opening their stockings and wha-la breakfast. As I kid I drooled just thinking of this amazing Christmas breakfast. My mom saved it specifically for Christmas morning. It was special. My family doesn't think it's special. Seriously, what do they know anyways? So every year I dread the Christmas morning menu. Everyone at the Ellis home wants pancakes. I, for one, do not think getting up on Christmas morning and missing out on all the togetherness so that I can flip pancakes for 7 relaxing. Anyone with me on this one?

Okay, so what's for sale today? Here's my deal for you on today's lucky number 8. Anyone who comments and sends me a great Christmas morning breakfast idea wins a $10 gift card. I can even mail them so for all of you from far and wide, you still get a chance to play. Let me know what your family loves on Christmas morning. And it better not be pancakes! :)

6 comments:

  1. cold cereal!
    you can make it 'special' by purchasing the 'SUGAR KIND'...you know, the kind that you wouldn't dream of buying any other day of the year! now that my dear, is SPECIAL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. do they like french toast? emily k has a FANTASTIC recipe for baked french toast that you can totally make the night before and thow in the oven while the kiddos are opening stockings.

    Melt one cube of butter. Pour in bottom of 9x13 pan. Pour one cup brown sugar on top of butter. Prepare egg and milk mixture like you would normally to make French toast. Just make a lot. Stack bread like dominos. Overlapping each other. You may need to cut a few slices in half to fill in the gaps on the side of the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of bread.
    Crumble ½ -1 cup of brown sugar on top.

    Refrigerate overnight.

    Bake the next morning at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

    **so sorry for TOTALLY stealing Kooistra's go to recipe, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do for shoes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Family loves this recipe. It's quick and easy. We make it every Christmas and serve it with cheesey scrambled eggs!
    MONKEY BREAD
    3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes
    1 cup sugar (divided)
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 cup butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar

    Take 3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes (10 per roll) and cut each roll into 4 pieces. Drop roll pieces into 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Drop sugar-coated pieces into a well buttered Bundt pan (don't squish roll pieces when placing them in the Bundt pan).
    Put 1/2 cup of the left-over sugar/cinnamon mix and 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) into a small saucepan.

    Bring this mixture just to a boil; remove from heat immediately. Carefully drizzle over the roll pieces.

    Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.

    Cool slightly in an upright position, then tip pan over onto a plate to remove monkey pull-apart bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always make carmel apple french toast. you make it the day before and refridgerate over night, bake in the a.m. and your good to go.
    4 lg. granny smith apples
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    sugar to taste
    3/4 C brown sugar
    3 Tbsp light corn syrup
    3 Tbsp butter
    3/4 C chopped pecans
    12 slices french bread
    3 eggs
    1 1/4 C milk (kick it up -use egg nog)
    1 tsp.vanilla
    1/4 tsp.nutmeg
    core peel and slice apples. simmer in 1/2 C water until apples are soft. toss in bowl gently with cinnamon and sugar. set aside.
    in sauce pan combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. bring to a slow boil.pour into 9x13 baking dish, sprinkle with pecans. Lay 6 pieces of bread over nuts. cover with apples and then remaining bread. (you have 6 apple sandwiches)
    mix eggs with milk or eggnog, vanilla and nutmeg. Pour over apple sandwiches, cover and refridgerate over night. in the morning bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. if you want you can serve with vanilla sauce but its great with out.
    vanilla sauce:
    1/2 sugar
    1 Tbsp cornstartch
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 Tbsp vanilla
    mix sugar and cornstartch with 1 C water in small sauce pan. cook over med. heat stirring often until thick and bubbly. remove from heat stir in butter and vanilla
    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM! My mouth is watering with all the yummy recipes. Keep em' coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Easy Quiche for a special Breakfast!
    I just use bacon and onion because my kids are so picky but you can add veggies too. I also buy the Pillsbury pie crust instead making a homemade crust (they taste better then mine)
    Ingriedents-
    1 Baked Pie 9" pie shell
    1/4 lb bacon strips cooked and crumbled
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3 egss
    1 1/2 cups cream
    1/2 tsp salt and pinch of pepper
    3/4 cups grated cheese
    2 T. butter
    Directions- Cook and crumble bacon and place in the bottom of the pie shell. Saute onion until soft then add to bottom of pie shell with bacon.
    Beat eggs, cream, salt and pepper together.
    Add grated cheese and pour into pie shell on top of bacon and onion. cut butter in tiny dots and scatter over top of the mixture. Set pie on cookie sheet and place in 375 F oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check after 25 min. Done when knife inserted comes out clean.

    We eat this with some fruit on the side.

    ReplyDelete